Re: /etc/rc.d/mountall in -current

I had a pool, hence zpool.cache was present and the zfs filesystems get mounted as expected. ZFS works to a certain extent (zpool scrub panics straight away, but I was able to tar off to a dataset a fairly large tree (the pkgsrc tree actually). In this case I was messing with a pool on a ld0 device attached to a nvme controller under -current  (VirtualBox VM).

The thing is, zfs does not seem to have volinit subcommand. It is not documented in the man page, neither shown by 'zfs help', and the pool gets mounted anyway, even if I have this line commented out.

Chavdar

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 at 13:01 Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I see there is 'zfs volinit' line in this file. the zfs command reports
> there is no volinit subcommand and fills rc.log with its usage (if you have
> zfs datasets, that is).
>
> Any idea why is this line present?

Yes, but it's conditionalized on having a /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file.  Do
you have such a file and is ZFS actually working for you?  Does it mount
cleanly automatically?

Are you saying that you've removed the line locally and you think that's
the right approach?   Do you think any other kind of init is needed?

Does anybody else use ZFS?  (If not, and Chavdar has tested, I'll drop
the zfs volinit invocation.)