Re: Potentially undesirable behavior with apropos(1)

On 8 Jul 2016, at 5:36 PM, Abhinav Upadhyay <er.abhinav.upadhyay%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> wrote:
Abhinav Upadhyay <er.abhinav.upadhyay%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

We just need to handle the special cases where we don't want to stem :)

...or perhaps do the stemming only when the resulting stem is found in
/usr/share/dict/words?

Yes, that's probably a good idea. I first need to write the custom
tokenizer and I can probably use that dictionary to decide what to
stem and what not to stem.

The man page is clear:

     -k      Search man pages for keyword(s), in the same manner as
             apropos(1).

And doing
-bash-4.3$ man -k re | wc
    1515   22761  148437
-bash-4.3$

is meaning less.

I just wonder how can I search for the cryptic keywords I used to be able to find.

I agree stemming and full text search is a nice feature, but just a feature.

Giving the user the option would be democratic.
:-)

I just got used to use man -k in the last 25 years, and it would be a unexpected change.

Thilo

-
Abhinav