Re: Identifying the NetBSD shell

    Date:        Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:42:21 -0400
    From:        Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost>

  | I strongly agree.  How about just giving it a date rather than a version
  | number?

That seems to be the most popular suggestion, and entirely reasonable,
so that is now the current plan.   My current (private) sources have it
set to 20160323 but it will probably be 20160401 when it gets committed
(whenever that happens - this does not imply that it will appear next Friday!)

And the most popular choice for the variable name to contain that version
string seems to be NETBSD_SHELL (based mostly on off-list e-mail I received).

Anyone who has objections to either of those should make them known
soon...  I have sent Christos a bunch more updates to be committed when he
finds the time (including a fix for PR bin/50993). The next update I send
him is likely to be the one that implements this (if for no other reason
so that I don't need to keep deleting this change from the updates!)
The next (bug-fix) type patches are likely to take a while to create,
the bugs left to fix are getting nastier to handle - so this small change
(once there has been sufficient time for opinions) is likely to beat the
next real fixes.

You may also want to check the original message on tech-userlevel for
some discussion of more technical related issues that are likely to
happen at the same time (though those you're unlikely to notice unless
you explicitly go looking.)

That message is ...
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2016/03/16/msg009776.html

kre