Re: Migrating from MBR to GPT?

On Nov 3, 12:28am, Thomas Klausner wrote:
}
} I've recently noticed that I have a 4TB disk in use of which I'm only
} using 2TB.
}
} [snip]
}
} I know that MBRs and GPTs conflict. Is there a way to migrate this
} disk to a GPT so that I can make use of the remaining data (without
} copying all the data off to a separate disk)?

     Uh, "man gpt":

     gpt migrate [-fs] device ...
             The migrate command allows the user to migrate an MBR-based disk
             partitioning into a GPT-based partitioning.

and if it happens to be a bootable disk:

     gpt biosboot [-c bootcode] [-i index] device ...
             The biosboot command allows the user to configure the partition
             that contains the primary bootstrap program, used during boot(8).

Also:  https://wiki.netbsd.org/users/jakllsch/gptboot/

} Or is migrating to a GPT optional, and I can use the remaining space
} in some other way?

     Not easily.  You could access the space via the raw partition
since that doesn't use the disklabel size, but you couldn't put a
file system there.

}-- End of excerpt from Thomas Klausner