Re: go vs. NetBSD ELF

christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> On Nov 1, 11:54pm, kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: go vs. NetBSD ELF
>
> | Is it really rational to keep adding cases for every new note that
> | gets discovered (to ignore them), just so that the kernel can print a
> | message (and otherwise ignore) notes that it hasn't yet been told
> | about ?
>
> It is just for DIAGNOSTIC; production kernels don't print anything.
> Now if we want DIAGNOSTIC to print less stuff we can change it to
> DEBUG_ELF_NOTES or something.

Please do.  DIAGNOSTIC, following historical norms dating back to 2BSD,
should essenttially only add panics in cases that are clearly the result
of kernel bugs (invariant failures).  It is not ok for DIAGNOSTIC to
print random warnings about user input.

On the other hand, DEBUG_ELF_NOTES sounds just right for printfs about
unexpected ELF notes :-)