Re: Hanging at shutdown with mystery "file system full" error

Patrick Welche wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 09:18:51PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
>>
>> "Ian D. Leroux" <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost> wrote:
>> >With sources from Oct. 17th I get a repeatable hang whenever I shutdown
>> >my laptop (NetBSD/amd64 current).  If X is running at shutdown time,
>> >then I can't switch back to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 has no effect) and
>> >my only recourse is to kill the power.  If X is not running I can
>> >switch to the console and see that the last messages to the console are
>> >kernel (green) warnings of the form
>> >
>> >uid 0, pid 1, command init, on /var: file system full
>>
>> Are any filesystems using tmpfs ?
>>
>> I saw the same problem on one of my systems, I fixed it by backing out
>> the last change to /etc/rc.d/swap1:
>>
>> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2015/04/20/msg065184.html>
>
>How does that work? I made that change to *prevent* a reproducible hang...

I read the thread that lead to your change, it seemed reasonable to me.

I was trying to get a bit more of a feel for what was happening before
raising a PR.

>(/var isn't a tmpfs on your system is it? So what is the connection?)

No, /var is a partition on the single HD. There is a tmpfs on /var/shm
and one on /tmp.

The machine that hangs isn't running X11 but it is running a
postgresql server which creates a couple of files in /tmp.

Robert Swindells