Killing a zombie process?

I'm not sure how I got to this point (but see high-level steps below). I have this zombie process:

root    27237  0.0  0.0       0      0 pts/2- Z          - 0:00.00 (sh)

Various web resources say "kill the parent" and the zombie child will die, too. But that's probably not a good idea here, since the parent is (or at least, appears to be) init (pid==1).

I checked for other potential parents (ie, any process with pts/2 for its TTY), and found two shell processes (one was my "login" shell on that terminal, and the other was the result of a "su" command). I logged out of both processes, but the zombie remained.

This is the second time this has happened, and both times were when I was using pkgsrc's mksandbox to rebuild something. The sandbox is "almost" standard, created with this command:

	# mksandbox	--src=/build/netbsd-local/src	\
			--xsrc=/build/netbsd-local/xsrc	\
			--rwdirs=/tmp			\
		/sandbox

(I added the rwdirs=/tmp so that /sandbox/tmp would be a memory-based tmpfs filesystem.)

I wouldn't usually worry too much about the zombie, but it's running /bin/sh _from_within_the_sandbox_ and therefore its image/text file owns a reference to /sandbox/bin/sh and this reference prevents me from properly unmounting the sandbox.

I suppose I could just manually run "umount -f" but I just hate forcing an unmount of an in-use file-system. :)

Suggestions?

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |