Re: "hme" tcp4csum-rx breaks 'pf' redirection to 'ftp-proxy'

"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> writes:

> In pkgsrc-user@, I noted trouble fetching the distfile for graphics/tiff.
> As my NAT/firewall 'pf' rules for ftp-proxy have been working unchanged
> for at least the last five years, either software or hardware broke it.
>
> This is NetBSD/sparc-7.0_RC3 on a SPARCstation 5.
>
> I recently updated my NAT/firewall system's hardware to use a "SUNW,qfe"
> Quad Fast Ethernet card.  It shows up as hme[0-3] with ukphy[0-3].
>
> It appears that using the hme's "tcp4csum-rx" capability on my internal
> hme interface fouls up 'pf's redirection of FTP connections to ftp-proxy.
> Connection attempts would time out.
>
> Disabling "tcp4csum-rx" (leaving "tcp4csum-tx" enabled) allows proxied
> FTP connections to work again.
>
> Anyone else using sparc{,64} and hme for NAT/firewall with ftp-proxy?
> If so, see anything like the above?

(I used to have a sparc64 with qfe, but it broke.)

Have you convinced yourself that the interface works ok with rx checksum
offloading when pf is not involved?

Over the years there have been multiple cases of "card X firmware Y is
buggy with checksum offloading Z".  So this is not shocking.