Re: named unable to bind to address?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> On August 17, 2015 12:17:37 PM EDT, "John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> wrote:

> >I still shouldn't need this.  Why is the address "not available" when
> >the first attempt to start 'named' is made?
>
> Is your address set by dhcp, or statically?  If the former, then

The address is statically assigned via the corresponding
"/etc/ifconfig.bge?" files.

I've noticed (on the rare occasions when I have access to the machine's
console) that any change to the interfaces causes them to report "no
carrier" for a brief period afterward, even though there's been no change
to their physical connection.

Perhaps this persists long enough to cause 'named' to ignore the interface?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:19:54 -0700 Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:

> 	hello.  what if you put a  line like:
> !sleep 30
> in your /etc/ifconfig.* files to make sure the interfaces are up before
> you try to bind to them?
> Still a hack, but not as bad as the cron job.

Given my above observation, this seems an eminently reasonable thing
to try.  I'll do that when the machine is finished with its current
task and can be rebooted.