Re: MegaRAID 3008/3108

On 06/03/15 20:27, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <20150603111042.4fad14b2@taliesin-2.local>,
Harry Waddell  <waddell%caravaninfotech.com@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 16:13:07 +0100 (BST)
Stephen Borrill <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

Anyone working on adding support for SYMBIOS MEGARAID 3108 (0x1000/0x005d)
or 3008 (0x1000/0x005f)? These are supported in OpenBSD by the mfii driver
which also supports the MEGARAID 2208 (0x1000/0x005b). In NetBSD, the
mfi(4) driver was extended to support the 2208 (Thunderbolt) rather than
adding a new driver. The 3008/3108 will require another MFI_IOP type
(OpenBSD call it 25).

--
Stephen

I have a system with this on the motherboard, but I'm dropping an lsi
9261-i8 in
because the newer cards are not supported. My vendor has told me that
the 9261 is near EOL,
so it would be really helpful if someone could add support for the newer LSI
cards. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in this area.
Shouldn't be too hard to do... As long someone has a card to test...

christos
One of our customer systems (Dell PowerEdge R730) has this card. I got it to work by adding the pciids to the driver and crudely adjusting the thunderbolt support to use EOM markers, remove the setting of a flag. I/O seemed to be working (installation was ok and the system was running fine. Issues left were: Absysmal I/O performance on SSDs (no non SSDs were available) in the range of 5 - 40 Mb/sec averaging around 20 Mb/sec. Checking other OS delivered: FreeBSD 10 - 5 MB/sec, OpenBSD 420 Mb/sec slowly decreasing. Linux SuSe 13.2 - 525-490 MB/sec. So due to time constraints and a customer machine we went for the fastest. Patches (mis-using the MFI_IOP type for thunderbolt) have been postedalready. OpenBSD seems to have an additional change in the way i/o commands are handled.

Frank