Re: Compiling NetBSD using PCC- Round 2

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, William D. Jones wrote:

Currently, when building a GENERIC i386 kernel, I get a decent amount of the
kernel compiled before the kernel source dependency generation bombs when
trying to invoke the preprocessor. I'm not sure what is causing this error,
but I do find it interesting that nbmkdep doesn't have any input source
file, like previous targets (e.g. nbmkdep takes as input swapnetbsd.c to
create GENERIC/swapnetbsd.d and swapnetbsd.c in
OBJDIR/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC. The error output shows no input C file
to mkdep when ./build.sh fails, and this only occurs for builds using PCC.

There is an input file! It comes from the left-hand side of the '|' pipe operator!

The input is passed to nbgenassym which will eventually invoke the compiler identified in CC=....i486--netbsdelf-pcc

It appears that the invocation of pcc is "not quite right" (TM) since it (pcc) is complaining about its command-line arguments.

#    create  GENERIC/assym.d
cat /home/william/Projects/NetBSD-CVS/src/sys/arch/i386/i386/genassym.cf  |
/home/william/Proj
ects/NetBSD-CVS/src/../tools/pcc/bin/nbgenassym --
CC=/home/william/Projects/NetBSD-CVS/src/../
tools/pcc/bin/i486--netbsdelf-pcc
/home/william/Projects/NetBSD-CVS/src/../tools/pcc/bin/nbmkdep

<snip remainder of poorly-formatted/wrapped text!>

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |