Re: gpt booting status?

On Dec 24, 12:40pm, Greg Troxel wrote:
}
} I am trying to set up GPT booting.  With netbsd-6 I
}
}   took a 3T USB disk
}   made a 1G gpt partition
}   newfs'd it and unpacked sets
}   ran "gpt biosbioot -i 1 sd0'
}   ran installboot to /dev/rdk0 with bootxx_ffsv2
}   copied /usr/mdec/boot to dk0
}
}
} I would expect then that
}
}   BIOS will load sector 0, which has gptmbr
}   gptmbr finds index 1 and loads 2nd-stage loader
}   bootxx_ffsv2 loads /boot
}   /boot can load kernel
}
} But trying to boot this disk on an old mac doesn't work.

     Um, silly question, but why would you expect something designed
to talk to a standard PC BIOS (gptmbr) to work on something that
isn't a PC?  At minimum you're going to need something like bootcamp
or possibly rEFind.  Note that I have never tried to get an Intel
Mac booting.  One of the Mac people is likely to be able to give
you a better / more complete answer.

} So, I am wondering if my take on gpt booting (that on netbsd-6 and up it
} works) right?  Can anyone share positive/negative experiences?
}
} Is /boot not booted from gpt expected to be able to load kernels from
} gpt partitions via "dev hd2a" or seomthing?
}
} Is there some /boot command to list devices?
}
}-- End of excerpt from Greg Troxel