Re: Debugging kernel memory allocation

Rich Neswold <rich.neswold%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Tom, what information are you looking for? I can provide details from my
> machine, as well. I know some of the things you looked at didn't shed much
> light.

Trouble is, I have no idea what I'm looking for.  :)

Right now, things are looking much better, though.  I've done two
things: I've made the change I mentioned recently, ensuring that more
RAM is kept available, but I've also upgraded to a -current from
November 30th, because I noticed that Masao Uebayashi had commited some
changes that seemed to affect critical section locking, including files
within /sys/uvm.

The local change seemed to improve things quite a bit, but not entirely
to fix the situation, but after upgrading to a newer -current, I seem to
be able to load the server down with very heavy disk and network
activity, with no ill effects.  It's only been running with the upgraded
kernel for a couple of days, so I'm not entirely trusting it yet, but
I'm hopeful.

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman