Re: Debugging kernel memory allocation

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:
>
>> Just a quick observation, from a three minute hang just now: the clock
>> on the machine is running three minutes late, and ntpd hasn't noticed
>> yet, since it's on a 1024 second schedule with its peers... ;)
>
> That makes me suspect  the kernel was stuck at some high priority level,
>
> Check "vmstat -m" for failures.

After some more experimenting and tuning, I had some really serious
hangs last night, while the system was very busy.  I wasn't present at
the time, so I didn't get to break into the kernel debugger and look at
tracebacks, but afterwards, 'vmstat -m' shows:

Name    Size Requests Fail Releases Pgreq Pgrel Npage Hiwat Minpg Maxpg Idle
buf16k 16384    62434    7    48435 10071  6145  3926  5154     1     1    0

...and 'vmstat -s':

   130493 faults relock (130484 ok)

Does that suggest any further tests?

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman