Re: drmkms solid hang on T200 laptop booting GENERIC amd64

On 11/21/14 14:56, Jarle Greipsland wrote:
Dave Tyson <dtyson%anduin.org.uk@localhost> writes:
I have been testing current on a Lenovo T200 (type 2504) on and off for a while. I think the last successful boot of current was GENERIC from 29th October before the KMS code was add the the GENERIC config. IIRC the DRMKMS kernel from that base would hang.

With GENERIC (AMD64) CVS'ed and compiled from a couple of days ago the system boots and then hangs in the KMS code. kernel messages just before hang:
[ ... ]
DRM error in init_ring_common: render ring initialization failed ctl 0001f001 head 0543b084 tail 00000000 start 00003000
warning: /usr/src/sys/external/bsd/drm2/dist/drm/i915/intel_pm.c:5734: !power_domains->domain_use_count[domain]

I see the exact same thing on a Lenovo T400s with NetBSD/i386
current.  I have also found that if I boot an older kernel with
drmkms enabled first (single-user and immediate reboot-command is
sufficient), then the current kernel boots all the way to
multi-user, and X11 works.
					-jarle

Hi Jarle,

Thanks for the heads-up. IIRC the DRMKMS kernel for the source dated 29th Oct worked OK - but I accidently deleted that binary (still have the GENERIC from that date). I was planning to CVS the source from that date and work forward to locate the commit which broke the kernel. It sounds like the older kernel is initialising something that the newer kernel fails to do.

Cheers,
Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org