Re: a separate build of libc

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, u-6hol%aetey.se@localhost wrote:
A deeper question:

What would be the minimal initial data (source) to be able to recreate a working NetBSD libc? I get the impression that the data is widely scattered across different file trees and source sets, my goal is now to identify the relevant subset of "the whole".

You would need at least the following:

* Tools, such as make, a compiler, assembler, linker, objcopy, sed, awk, sort, and several more. You probably don't need yacc or lex.

* Include files, as installed by "make install" in the NetBSD src tree. Not all of them are used in the libc build, but there is no central list of what's needed by libc versus what's needed by some other part of NetBSD.

* Source files used in the libc build, especially src/lib/libc/** and src/common/lib/libc/**, plus a few things from src/external/** and src/sys/external/** which can be identified by searching for "external" in all the makefiles under src/lib/libc, and perhaps more that I missed.

--apb (Alan Barrett)