Re: status of ZFS?

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM,  <u-6hol%aetey.se@localhost> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I made some effort to learn the current status of ZFS usability on
> NetBSD. There did not seem to have been any discussions arount the topic
> for the last couple of years. May be there is some hidden knowledge
> available via this list?
> My regrettable conclusion is that ZFS as-is on NetBSD does not provide
> any visible advantages compared to other file systems.
>
> To be fair, presumably it does the checksum protection (which no other
> fs provides on NetBSD) but the important virtues like scrub and snapshots
> do not seem to have been made operational.
>
> Can anybody on the list shed more light on the state of affairs
> and on the prospect of improving the usability of ZFS?

I hoped someone else might chime in, but they haven't...

I think this is a fair summary. I think improving it requires at least
one person to work on it a fair amount. The good thing is the upstream
project is very healthy, on illumos, Linux and FreeBSD, and there is a
lot of experience that is transferable to NetBSD around the pitfalls.

Justin