Re: 5 GHz band support for Intel WiFi chips?

   Hi,

   my impression from various web sites is that the Intel WiFi
   device in my Lenovo T400s laptop has support for the 5 GHz band
   channels.  However, it seems to never associate with any access
   points using such channels.  It always ends up using some of the
   2.4 GHz channels instead, or not being able to associate with any
   access point at all.

   It identifies itself as:
   iwn0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x4236 (rev. 0x00)
   iwn0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17
   iwn0: MIMO 3T3R, MoW, address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
   iwn0: 11a rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
   iwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
   iwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps
36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

   Does the NetBSD 80211 framework have support for the 5 GHz
   channels?  Does our driver for this Intel series of chips support
   the 5 GHz channels?  Do I need to configure the device in any
   particular way?  Or have I misunderstood something, and the chip
   in question does not support the 5 GHz band channels after all?

   Is there anybody, with a similar device, that has successfully
   used the 5 GHz band channels?

                                           -jarle
   --
   There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation,
   naming things, and off-by-one errors.

Hello...

No help from me, I run a T530 that I am completely sure has both radios in
it and it does not identify correctly either:

iwn0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x0085 (rev. 0x34)
iwn0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17, event channel 9
iwn0: MIMO 2T2R, MoW, address nonononononononono
iwn0: 11a rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
iwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
iwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps
36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

Worse, it supports 802.11n, which isn't listed and 802.11a doesn't work
correctly.  It half way associates with some 802.11a APs, if it is forced
to, but never manages to pass packets.  I have not tried 802.11b, but
802.11g is fairly stable and works with wpa_supplicant.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]