Re: No buffer space available

tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:

>When the machine gets loaded down with work, I get network pauses of
>varying length, from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, where all
>network activity just stops, and I get console messages from various
>subsystems complaining about no buffer space available - e.g.

>Sep  1 09:32:49 barsoom openvpn[2896]: write UDPv4: No buffer space available
>(code=55)

This doesn't necessarily mean that the buffer space is too small. It often
also means that you try to send data faster than possible through the
particular hardware. I can also mean that the hardware currently cannot
send data (e.g. if the interface is inactive / has no carrier ).

>Note that the condition that causes this to happen is that the machine
>has a significant non-networking workload.  During this last upgrade, it
>was really bad during the building of the new release before upgrading,

It could be that the kernel address space is exhausted but this shouldn't
really happen with default settings. Network buffers and other non-network
kernel subsystems aren't related.