Re: Wedges & sysinst (Was: Wedges enabled on -current)

    Date:        Fri, 22 Aug 2014 21:00:52 +0100
    From:        David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost>

  | Is there a plan to update sysinst?

I had been meaning to ask that too, but with a slightly different emphasis.

I suspect that (instead of enabling auto wedge detection on existing labels
as the next step forward - ie: undoing what was recently done) sysinst be
updated (for i386 and amd64 at least) to offer GPT instead of disklabel
installs (as the default for amd64 & i386 - other ports probably need more
investigation to see how GPT can fit into the existing partitioning scheme so
booting still works).

That will get more people using wedges, in a more natural way than by
forcing existing labels to convert, and so allow more of the remaining
other issues to be solved, before breaking things for people with existing
setups just doing a kernel update.

kre