Re: NetBSD on Gateway SX2185?

Le 27/07/2014 06:19, Paul Goyette a écrit :> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

>>> I also tried to boot up an Ubuntu 14.04.1 distribution from DVD, and
>>> it successfully loaded GRUB!
>>>
>>> Maybe there's a way to update the on-disk bootloader with GRUB
>>> instead of the usual NetBSD bootloader?
>>>

>> You can certainly boot NetBSD with GRUB in a pinch... though it would
>> be nice to figure out what's going on.
>
> Well, first I need to get GRUB onto the NetBSD disk!

Not necessarily: if the BIOS supports legacy mode, Grub can see USB plugged disks/keys like normal HDDs. Passing down another root to Grub to boot from it is rather easy:

> set root=(hd1,1,a) # Depends on how your disk is detected by Grub
> chainloader +1
> boot

It used to work with "older", non-UEFI machine. With todays RST, UEFI and SecureBoot, it does not work as easily. But might be worth a try. This assumes that you can have a CD/DVD boot disk + USB disk connected to the station.

BIOS configuration may also provide an option to boot "legacy" or "UEFI", with UEFI being often enabled by default. Do you have access to BIOS/EFI configuration menus?

--
Jean-Yves Migeon