Re: NetBSD on Gateway SX2185?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, David Brownlee wrote:

I wonder if the BIOS is performing some additional 'sanity check' on
the MBR record before accepting it for booting - something that
Windows and Linux pass by default but NetBSD's does not..

Something else that's "interesting" about this machine...

There's an option where F12 is used to get to a "Boot Menu". When I use it on the pre-installed Windows 8.1 hard drive, it displays a selection box with "Windows Boot Manager". If I have also inserted the Ubuntu 14.04.1 DVD in the drive, there is an addition option labelled "UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GHB0N". It seems that these entries are being obtained from the boot sectors?

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |