Re: Preparation for creating netbsd-7 branch

On Jul 21, 2014, at 10:56 AM, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost>
wrote:

> rjs@ wrote:
>
>> Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

>> I can test hpcarm on an iPAQ.
>
> Ok, good to hear.
>
>>> Unfortunately all these ports are orphaned.
>>
>> There were updates to hpcarm recently to get it to work on WZERO3
>> hardware, what is needed for it not to be considered orphaned ?
>
> "orphaned" means there is no portmainter to make a decision.
> http://www.netbsd.org/people/port-maintainers.html
>
> I have W-ZERO3 and Zaurus machines, but I'm not so motivated
> because I'm not sure what's the actual benefits and risk/concerns
> on switching to earm on such XScale generation machines.
> (most important part is lack of migration method, of course)

the default processor for earm was chosen so that xscale and above
would get smaller code and slightly higher performance.

> Is there any documents/articles that describe earm on NetBSD?
> If not, we won't have enough brave users.

The fact that NetBSD is finally using the ABI that ARM recommends
and linux has been using for years?  The apcs (oabi) is not supported
anymore.