Re: Preparation for creating netbsd-7 branch

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:45:40PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> [...]
> > For the next release, core/releng should decide per current implementation:
> > - how the default userland MACHINE_ARCH should be deteremined
>
> What do you mean by default?  For evbarm/cats/shark/etc. the MACHINE_ARCH is
> determined by what parameters you supply to build.sh (allowed -m shortcuts
> like ecats/eshark/evbearmv7hf-el, etc).

By "default", we mean what should show up in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0/
and
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/

We probably don't have the ressources for providing binaries
for each {,e}arm{,hf} variants.

> > - how to handle migration from old ABI to new one on sysinst
>
> In essence, this is no different from upgrading an i386 userland to an amd64
> userland.

This is something we don't handle at all right now.