Re: pkg_add packages for evbearmv6hf-el: "Cannot execute ELF binary"

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, at 21:25:45 -0400, William D. Jones wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am not sure whether this is user error or a legitimate bug, so I
>will post here before filing a PR. The following thread may be
>related:
>
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2013/12/21/msg023935.html
>
>I am attempting to get my NTFS hard disk recognized under Raspberry
>Pi so that I may transfer files to and from the device as secondary
>storage. Currently, any attempt to mount the device using mount_ntfs
>returns "Operation not supported by device", even using the ro
>option. At least on FreeBSD as of August 2013, mount_ntfs is broken,
>so I figured installing ntfs-3g is the solution. Compiling ntfs-3g
>from scratch is not ideal on my Pi currently (see below), so I
>attempted to use pkg_add (with -f option) to install from:
>
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/evbarm/6.1/filesystems/fuse-ntfs-3g-1.1120.tgz
>
>pkg_add works correctly and installs the package, but all attempts
>to run the program end with the following error message:
>
>rpi-ptrain# ntfs-3g
>-sh: Cannot execute ELF binary /usr/pkg/bin/ntfs-3g
>This also applies to other packages, such as python.
>
>Is the expected behavior due to ARM family mismatch, intentional
>changes in the kernel facilities between 6.1 and 6.99 that make the
>packages out of date, or is this a legitimate program loader bug
>that I may have found? Source that I have manually compiled and
>placed in /usr/local (including wget) works perfectly fine, and for
>the time being, I suppose the following git repository is an
>unofficial workaround:
>https://github.com/ebijun/NetBSD/tree/master/RPI/RPIimage/Image

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're running an evbearmv6hf-el
(ARM EABI, hard float) kernel and you're trying to use packages that
are evbarm (ARM OABI, soft float). Does your kernel have option
COMPAT_NETBSD32 enabled? If not, my understanding is you'd have an
ABI incompatibility problem.

Dave