Re: Building PCC for "tools" is broken (missing symbol __USE)- PCC bug or NetBSD source tree error?

Thank you for your response.

I *fully* recommend using the latest pcc before looking too deeply into
any errors. You can use the native pcc configure script and build system
(installs to /usr/local) or the lang/pcc-current package (might not always
be latest but its easy to change the date -- I just updated it)

regards,
iain

I'm afraid that I am cross-compiling from a Linux system, and as to not contaminate my source tree, I wanted to create a "tools" version of PCC that can be used to compile the rest of the tree. However, if your source tree does not have __USE (Google says you are a PCC developer), then it's probable that NetBSDs version of PCC is simply out of date.

I have a separate compiler (GCC) on my host machine as well... I can skip HAVE_PCC for now and just have the distribution ship PCC, or I can try an EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN. The latter is not trivial, since I have to create a cross-PCC. But I want to see JUST how much software PCC is capable of compiling. For example, will it compile most untarred source trees and GNU autoconfed trees I throw at it on the 486 without problem? The NetBSD source tree is a good test for this.

As an aside, is it possible for PCC to reliably build the first stage of GCC <= 4.7.3?

--
Sincerely,

William D. Jones