Re: etcupdate destructive tricks

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 09:32:55AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I've updated NetBSD-current system and notice that etcupdate wants to destroy
> some useful files.

etcupdate(8) doesn't want anything.  It's a very useful tool, but it has
no bias whatsoever about the contents of the files.

It is essentially a diff tool between src and your /etc.  It will show
you all the changes between the two.  The value of those changes is
entirely up to the person running the tool.

Take master.passwd for instance.  Sometimes system users are added, for
instance because a new piece of software using its own unprivileged user
has been added to NetBSD, so you need to merge that into your installed
master.passwd file.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost