Re: Strange boot problems on amd64-current (6.99.40)

On Sun, 11 May 2014, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

On Sun, 11 May 2014, Paul Goyette wrote:

I might be able to get a serial console set-up, but it will likely take some time, as I have never used serial console with netbsd. (I would estimate that it would take me at least until next weekend, maybe even longer...)

If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

My guess is that since you have the RAID partition on wd0e, the root device configuration is trying to use the 'e' partition on the raid0 device.

I think I've almost always used the 'a' partition for a bootable raid and can't remember any configuration where the bootable raid wasn't on the 'a' partition.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem. But it wasn't a problem until just a few weeks ago (April 2nd). The raid device has its own partition table, independant of the partition table on the component drives, so there really isn't any good reason (IMHO) to assume any correspondence between them.

And FWIW, this configuration has been working for at least a couple of years. I even wrote up a How-To page [1] for the wiki to describe the set-up.

[1] http://wiki.netbsd.org/set-up_raidframe/

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |