Problem with kvm utilities on acorn32

Not sure how arch specific this is but I'm seeing a problem with various KVM utilities on a 6.99.40 system on acorn32.

e.g

$ vmstat -i
vmstat: undefined symbols: _pool_head

Having searched the source code this symbol is a static variable in subr_pool.c and looking at the .o file for that I see:
$ nm -n subr_pool.o | grep pool_head
00000024 d pool_head
000006d8 b pool_head_lock

However neither of these symbols appear in the output of 'nm -n netbsd'

Do we need to do some compiler magic to stop these symbols being optimized out of the kernel or do the kvm utils need to be modified to accept the fact that not all platforms will have the symbol?

Mike