Re: non-executable script after netbsd-6 to -current update causes tool build failure.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014, John D. Baker wrote:
sh:
/d0/nbsd/current/src/tools/gcc/../../external/gpl3/gcc/dist/lto-plugin/../install-sh:
 permission denied

Is this another instance where a script should be run by explicit shell invocation?

Yes. Without exception, all scripts run during the build should be run under an explicitly specified interpreter. They should not rely on execute permission, they should not rely on the "#!" line being correct, and they should not assume that /bin/sh is a usable shell.

Several years ago, I ran builds on a system where /bin/sh was a script that logged all uses of itself, and where HOST_SH pointed to a real shell under a name other than /bin/sh, and I fixed all the problems that were exposed. It seems to be time to do that again, to fix new problems that have been introduced since the previous sweep.

--apb (Alan Barrett)