Re: Choosing ordering of pseudo-interface config

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 01:49:50PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> On my system (well, the one of interest), ifconfig -C produces bridge
> vlan stf ... which for many people would be a fine order to configure
> things, but it happens for me to be inappropriate, as I need to bridge
> a vlan (the other connection on the bridge will be a xen interface, to
> a DomU).

my use case exactly.

> [ rcorder for /etc/rc.d/network here, and possible side effects of
>   LIFO order for rcorder on rest of /etc/rc.d ]

> So, this is a request for opinions - is this something worth
> adding/changing in NetBSD, and is the risk to people's rc.d processing
> worth it?

I'd still like to see this.  for cases where the reverse ordering of
rc.d entries breaks things, it means there were missing dependencies,
which is a bug.  while you're at it, you could randomize the order
between dependencies, just to make sure everything gets shaken out.  :)

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost