Re: kernel crashes because crypto unloading?

I guess you are not using a GENERIC kernel? The GENERIC kernel should have the crypto module (and all of its dependencies) built-in.

In any case, the fact that you're backtrace shows you came from module_thread() indicates that the crypto module had been automatically loaded (presumably as a result of an attempt to open /dev/crypto) and the 10-second auto-unload timer has expired.

I would have expected config_cfdata_detach() to fail (with EBUSY) if the device was still open by someone. So I'm not sure who/what still owns allocations from the module's memory pool.

In any case, please set 'sysctl -w kern.module.verbose=1' and re-run your tests so we can see all of the module load/unload activity.