increasing default limits for threads, processes, and file descriptors?

Hi!

I've recently started running applications with many threads; when
they are running, firefox and other gtk applications start silently or
overtly failing, because they run out of threads and noone handles
these cases, or at least not gracefully.

I think the thread and process, and while we're on the topic,

  ---
/archive/build/amd64.clang.20130521/usr/X11R7/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/services/svwinfnt.h
 ---
  x86_64--netbsd-install:
/archive/foreign/xsrc/external/mit/freetype/dist/include/freetype/internal/services/svwinfnt.h:
 open: Too many open files

the file descriptor limits are too low by default, at least on
current/amd64.

Can someone please increase the defaults to a more reasonable value?

Thanks,
 Thomas