dhcpd problem?

I was wondering why a dhcpd at work didn't seem to be responding, so
just set up a netbooting box. On the "server"

  dhcpd wm0

did not reply to dhcp requests, even though tcpdump said they were arriving.
Running

  dhcpd -d -f wm0

to try to figure out was going on made the bug go away, and dhcpd sent
replies, and we had a successful netboot (This implies that dhcpd.conf
is correct.)

Trying "dhcpd wm0" again and rebooting no joy. "dhcpd -d -f wm0" again OK.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Patrick