Re: Build failure for port-alpha

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 03:52:14PM +0100, Havard Eidnes wrote:
>> However, alpha's cpu.h includes <sys/cpu_data.h> under _KMEMUSER,
>> and it looks like "struct cpu_data ci_data" needs to be part of
>> what's visible of "struct cpu_info" under _KMEMUSER (I tried to
>> move the #ifndef but that lead to more problems).
>
> If the cpu_data.h is needed by kmem grovelers, it should be installed to
> userland.
>
> (The change exposing this now is probably dsl's adding of _KMEMUSER to a
> few binaries that realy need it but missed it before.)
>
> If alpha cpuinfo should be rearranged to not require this file instead -
> I don't know.

The thing is...

sys/sys/Makefile has this log message:

revision 1.68
date: 2004/10/10 08:57:30;  author: yamt;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
don't install cpu_data.h or cc_microtime.h.
they're not intended to be exposed to userland.

I'm reluctant to reverse that decision if it's just alpha which
needs cpu_data.h to be installed.

I have tried various other types of re-arrangement of the alpha
cpu.h file, none of them successful -- it either falls over while
trying to build libkvm, vmstat or pstat.

I'm therefore asking for input as to the right course of action.

Regards,

- Håvard