Re: HEADS UP: Postfix 2.9.5 imported

On Jan 6, 2013, at 04:37, dieter roelants wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 19:39:10 +0000
> Matthias Scheler <tron%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>>> Do you know of any reason why main.cf has "inet_protocols = ipv4" at
>>> the bottom? (I assume it came from upstream.)
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yes, that came from upstream. Not sure why. Maybe we should change it back?

The "why" is easy: for those of us who have IPv6 stacks in kernels (or not),
and possibly on our LANs, but no external IPv6 connectivity, having Postfix try
v6 addresses from the DNS is pointless and wasteful of time & resources - there
will be no response to TCP6/SMTP SYN packets.

I'm certainly not bothering with IPv6 (I remove support for it in my custom
NetBSD kernels) until my ISP offers it natively ... unless there's some
overriding reason to tunnel it and bypass them (which, so far as I can tell,
there isn't, yet), so I put that line in my own main.cf files manually as part
of a recent NetBSD 6 upgrade process to shut off Postfix's IPv6 processing
until such time as I need it operationally. Why delay every E-mail with an
attempt at connecting which is a priori known not to work?

        Erik <fair%netbsd.org@localhost>