Re: Yet another build problem for evbppc64

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Paul Goyette wrote:

With up-to-date sources...

--- dependall-../external/bsd/mdocml/lib ---
/var/tmp//cc3rajhb.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp//cc3rajhb.s:90: Error: symbol `.data' is already defined
*** [tbl_data.o] Error code 1
nbmake: stopped in /build/netbsd-local/src/external/bsd/mdocml/lib/libmandoc

Looking at the compiler output, I find that we have (starting at line 83)

        .section        ".opd","aw"
        .align 3
data:
        .quad   .data,.TOC.@tocbase,0
        .previous
        .size   data,24
        .type   .data,@function
.data:
        mflr 0
        std 27,-40(1)
        std 28,-32(1)
        std 29,-24(1)
        std 30,-16(1)
        std 31,-8(1)
.L49:
        ld 3,.LC3@toc(2)
        ld 5,.LC4@toc(2)
        li 4,79
        ld 6,.LC6@toc(2)
        bl .__assert13
        nop
        .long 0
        .byte 0,0,0,1,128,8,0,0
        .size   .data,.-.data
        .section        ".toc","aw"
.LC18:
        .tc .LC17[TC],.LC17
        .section        ".text"
        .align 2
        .p2align 4,,15
        .globl tbl_cdata
        .section        ".opd","aw"

The definition of .data is at line 90.

Unless there is some internal definition of the symbol, I don't see how this could be "already defined".

However, since the function data() within this source file is defined as static, is there any reason why it could not be renamed to something else just to avoid the internal name-space conflict?

The attached diff renames the function to xdata() and this allows the build to proceed. Does anyone object to committing it?

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |