Re: Casting ctype lookups

  CAVEATS

It's true that it's explained fairly well.  The problem I'm running into
multiple times is people that end up not understanding this.  I think
this discussion has shown that it's a fairly subtle issue (why any code
that triggers our warning is necessarily incorrect, where incorrect
means that it can lead to undefined behavior on some platform).
Actually, that's not quite true; if one can prove by static analysis
that a char has value only 0-127, then passing it to isspace() is not
wrong -- but the code is still unreasonably fragile, a lesser sin.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful and polite discussion.