how ok is NetBSD (-6) with an ext2fs root fs?

I have a NetBSD-6 system with a P2020 (evbpcc architecture, but a custom
board), and because U-Boot doesn't grok ffs or bsd disklabels, it would
be convenient to run the system with an ext2fs root.  But, I'm a bit
nervous because ext2fs isn't the One True Filesystem, and I am not
entirely confident that the NetBSD ext2fs code is 100% solid.

Have people run systems with ext2fs as the root fs?  On big-endian
machines, and ppc?   How did it work?