Re: cdrecord DMA speed too slow error on 6.0 BETA2

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 23:38:33 +0530
Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 12:58:27PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
> > from your other machine. If it's not using DMA, that would probably
> > explain your burning problem. Information about your IDE controller
> > must be somewhere in the dmesg... atapibus0 is attached to atabus0, so
> > grep for atabus0 and see where that's attached. That should be your
> > IDE controller, so grep for that.
>
> I saw it says - no driver support. I am using GENERIC kernel. Do I require
> compiling it in?
>
> $ dmesg | grep pciide
> pciide0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x11ab product 0x6101 (rev. 0xb1)
> pciide0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
> pciide0: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
> pciide0: using ioapic0 pin 17 for native-PCI interrupt
> atabus0 at pciide0 channel 0
> pciide0: secondary channel configured to native-PCI mode
> atabus1 at pciide0 channel 1

It's not guaranteed to work (it could freeze the machine at boot if it
doesn't), but if you haven't tried yet, you could attempt to set the
force-DMA flag 0x0001, i.e.:

pciide* at pci? dev ? function ? flags 0x0001   # GENERIC pciide driver

I have to do this for an unsupported chip (VT6415, kern/45917), but it
fortunately works fine for me.
--
Matt