Re: /sbin/restore behavior

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 07:57:06AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> While trying to recover from my recent attempts to upgrade, I have
> noticed that '/sbin/restore -x -u' doesn't seem to work as expected.
>
> I would expect the -u to unlink both the files _and_hard_links_ being
> restored.  However, when restoring a hard link, it does not unlink the
> original, and displays an error message instead.
>
> Is this behavior correct?

is it low cost to determine which files are linked to a given inode?
certainly you can determine the count, but doesn't figuring out which
directory entries are linked to a given inode require traversing the
entire filesystem space until all links are found?

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost