Re: Severe netbsd-6 NFS server-side performance issues

At 12:45 Uhr -0700 30.5.2012, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>Hmm.  A panic a week?  I wouldn't call that stable at all.

That's relative...  ;)

>However, one issue at a time.
>       Does the raid controller have some sort of battery backed up cache?

Yes.

>Which driver supports these raid controllers?  mfi(4)?

amr0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0: AMI RAID <MegaRAID SCSI 320-4X>
amr0: interrupting at ioapic2 pin 4
amr0: firmware 421D, BIOS H434, 256MB RAM
ld0 at amr0 unit 0: RAID 5, optimal
ld0: 1675 GB, 218759 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 3514368000 sectors

-- I had fun upgrading the firmware (the original version would install the
RAID, but not boot), since the controller turned out to be a Fujitsu OEM,
although it said LSI all over the board, and LSI refused to support it. In
the end, I pried out a totally undocumented firmware from an iso image off
an obscure Fujitsu ftp server. It worked, and even fixed the immediate
problem.

>       I'm not sure of the problem, but it sounds like some sort of write
>back cacheing switch got flipped in the raid controller, and now writes,
>with interleaving reads, are really slow.  I'm assuming you've looked at
>the BIOS of the raid controller to see if there are any settings which
>might have to do with caching?

Yes, and they are as I wanted them, battery present, cache set to
write-back. I ran bonnie++ on the array last week to check whether the
dismal performance is disk related. From the results I got I'd say it is
not.

>       Is it possible to revert to the NetBSD-5.x system and see if your
>performance goes back  to where it was  after the raid upgrade but before
>the OS upgrade?

Tricky. The installation is netbsd-6, and the disk array is well-filled, so
I'd have to attach a sata disk for the netbsd-5 system, plus rebuild the
packages installed. Might be worth a try, though, although as I said, the
netbsd-5 stability was not satisfactory.

>       If you export a non-raid disk, what kind of nfs performance do you get
>on the system when writing to that disk?  (That will help you figure out if
>it's a raid problem or an OS problem.)

Hm - I could try that quickly tomorrow. Might well give some information.

OTOH, the bonnie++ run appears to have cleared the disk subsystem.

>       I realize that I'm more questions than answers, but I think the
>question you're trying to answer is, what changed?  The answer is, I think,
>something about the raid system.

Nothing really changed, that's what baffles me. The machine rebooted after
a panic at some point, and came up with bad performance. I had updated the
kernel in that context, but as I mentioned, the old kernel gave the same
result.

At this point, I am very much banging my head against a wall, so questions,
by forcing me to re-think the situation from the ground up, are quite
helpful.

        hauke