Re: gpg can't get random/entropy

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM, matthew sporleder
<msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> For me gpg blocked ~forever until I added this to rc.conf:
> rndctl=YES
> rndctl_flags="-ec -t net"

I had tried a variant of that yesterday, but my impression was that my
networking driver (wm0) did not have the necessary hooks to generate
entropy... or so it seemed, because "rndctl -ls" reported 0 bits from
that device.

Out of curiosity: why are networking drivers disabled by default?  Is
it because an attacker could generate traffic to the machine on
purpose and somehow predict the gathered entropy?

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv