Re: dhcpcd(8) and automatic hostname

Roy Marples said;

dhcpcd(8) requests the DHCP host_name option by default in dhcpcd.conf(5). The assignment of the hostname follows a similar ruleset as dhclient and can be found in /libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/30-hostname

Depending on the dhcpcd version you have installed, you can query the lease assigned by so

dhcpcd -U bge0

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I should write my message clearer.  The issue
resides in /etc/rc.d/ structure, not dhcpcd(8) functionality itself.

/// short summary ///
When /etc/rc.conf does not have hostname= field, having
ifconfig_fxp0="dhcp" fails to assign hostname.

/// details ///
When /etc/rc.conf has dhclient="YES" and dhclient_flags="fxp0", dhclient
can assign hostname provided by DHCP server.  If /etc/rc.conf has
ifconfig_fxp0="dhcp" replacing the above two lines, /etc/rc emits the
following error message and the machine ends up with no hostname.

Starting Network.
/etc/rc: WARNING: $hostname not set.
Configuring network interface: fxp0
NetBSD/i386 (Amnesiac)  (console)