Re: NetBSD 6.0_BETA: cut-over and what Package Source to use?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Mike Riechers wrote:

I'm downloading NetBSD 6.0_BETA now, and I expect that it will
be swell.  Thank you very much for this release.

But I've got a couple of questions:

1.  When was the cut-over from NetBSD current?  Specifically, when
I upgrade from NetBSD Current NetBSD 5.99.56 (GENERIC), 12 November 2011,
amd64, am I safe?

I used the then package source _current_ to make emacs, bash, etc.  Is this
compatible with 6.0_BETA?

If packages are already installed, no problem.

However, I upgraded one of my boxes, deleted all packages, and installed a set of packages that were built on 5.99.52. Most of them installed without any problem, although most of them did display a warning that the binary packages had been built on the earlier release.

A few packages depend specifically on having an osabi package built for the current version, and those packages would not install using the osabi that had been built for 5.99.52. I manually re-built and reinstalled osabi on my 6.99.2 system, along with x11links, and then everything was able to install successfully.

2.  What pkgsrc should I use to regenerate emacs, bash, etc.  Should I use
the same pkgsrc as for 5.2, or pkgsrc current?

If you're rebuilding from source you should not have any problems.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |