Re: dhcpcd [configuration] problems

On 26/03/2012 16:11, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> I would actively discourage that.
> Use dhcpcd=YES instead of running separate instances of it.

In general, dhcpcd=YES is preferable, yes. The exception is when you
really want to manually configure certain interfaces. In that case it
can be easier to just request dhcp on the interface.

Is PR bin/43490 (/etc/rc.d/dhcpcd doesn't check pid file properly) fixed?
http://gnats.netbsd.org/43490

I'm not sure it can be fixed easily, unless we teach /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd how to process each option so we know what is an interface and what isn't. Even then, if you change the interface then any logic we can put in would be broken as the pidfile check changes.

The problem is that dhcpcd binary needs the current behavior to work with old non NetBSD system scripts where they expect dhcpcd to run on just one interface.

In a nutshell, if you wish to restrict dhcpcd to certain interfaces, then use the allowinterfaces/denyinterfaces directive(s) in dhcpcd.conf(5) as that would allow the full power of dhcpcd whilst working with rc.d as well.

Thanks

Roy