Pad audio device and select(2) reporting data is available when there is none.

Hi

I've noticed something unusual whilst experimenting with pad(4).

I am writing a program that uses pad audio.

I would like to read pad data but have the read not block so the program can
do other things.  So I discovered select(2) and am using it to test if there
is any data to be read.

I've found that select always reports data is available to read,  and
subsequently attempting to read even one character and the read blocks.

This happens before using the subsequent audio device.

Is there a problem with pad?  Or am I not allowed to use select to test for
data on pad?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Nat.