Re: Test failures

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 02:46:46PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I am not sure it's his responsibility to fix it.  I am seeing an ever
> increasing burden pushed onto developers to maintain rump, which is
> clearly very very useful but is also only about halfway integrated with
> the rest of the system source tree and build framework in ways that make
> it extremely fragile and hard to maintain.
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, rump is so incredibly useful for testing that it is worth the
> pain, but that does not mean the pain is a good thing.

Fair enough. But most of the failures would be catched if developers would
actually run the tests before committing. Now we have a third-party pool of
people tracking regressions of other people, which is quite frustrating as
well. And very inefficient.

(A reason why I've previously played with the idea of "continuous
integration", i.e. repository commit hooks that do not let anything into
the tree that cause test failures.)

- Jukka.