Re: Boot fail as kvm guest

On 2/18/2012 7:28 AM, Matthias Drochner wrote:

kevin.bowling%kev009.com@localhost said:
boot -v didn't give much more -

Sorry, I should have said "boot -x" which enables the
"debug" messages.
But we can find out the offending "rdmsr" call anyway
because there is only one "errata" entry for your
CPU id 0x100f23: #261. The msr read must be MSR_DC_CFG
(0xc0011022).

I also tried disabling ACPI and APIC on the kvm settings.

No, this all will not help, the "errata" calls are
not easily switched off.

You're right, it hangs on errata 261.

Interestingly, if I instruct kvm to advertise itself as a lower level processor (i.e. Athlon) and turn off the APIC it almost boots but hangs on not finding /dev/console which should be a standard x86 VDT.

As an aside, do you folks have access to kvm systems for testing? I think it will become a fairly important target for heterogeneous environments.

Regards,
Kevin