Re: ahcisata & SPL NOT LOWERED ON EXIT messages

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:54:58PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:47:11PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > > I don't understand why panicing without lowering the IPL would
> > > be an issue. There are even cases where you can't avoid it (e.g.
> > > when in interrupt context). I don't think the problem is in the ahci
> > > driver.
> >
> > I see no problem with the panic call itself. With ddb.onpanic=1, i can
> > do common operations (without disk access) with no problem. Messages
> > start firing when the system start using the disks behind the ahcisata
> > controller to dump core.
>
> But ahcisata shouldn't call panic from these places when dumping core,
> isn't it ?

It should not. But, looks like it does in my case ... and the screen
output is totally garbled :(

[...]
EWEDR OEDN  SONY SCSYALSLCA 3LL1  11  -EX1I43T 3862364d5698 E 7XI
T WfAR77NI5aN9Gc: 0 SP7
NWAOTRN LINOWG:ER ESPD L ONNO TT RALPOW EEXREITD  6ON  0
SWACARNLLIN 3G:1  S1 PLEX NITOT 6 2LO4dWE98RE 7D        SY
WN ARTRNIAPNG E:W XSAIRPTNL 6I NN OG0:           O
 SLWOPALWRN ENIRONEDTG:  O LOSNP WTELRR NAEDOP  TOE LNXIO SWT EYSR6C
 ED0AL
OL WN A0 RTR-N1AIPN43G 1E: X58IS8PTL 068 N  E0OX
 TWL AOWRfNE7RI7NE54GD: 14O 0SN  P7LT           TI
WPOTA R EXLNIIOWTNGE :R6  ES0DP       RAN
ONW NA OTRNTRAI LNPG OEW:XE SIRETP DL  6O NN0OT
YLWSOARCWANERLINEL DG0:   O-SN1P 4LTR3 1NA3POT0 1 EX3L6OI TWE E6RXI
EDT0
N7W7 AR5TbNRbIAcNP0G E :7X
fO
L W 6A NRNO0               SITP
WLGOA:RW SENPRINLE GD :N OOTSN  PLTL ROANWEPOTR EE XDL IOOTWN E 6RE
SD0YS
ANWLA LRT NR0IANP  G-:E14X S3I1TP 2L6 6N 00O4T
CO
 LEWXAORIWTENR INEfDG7: 7O 5cSNPc TL8 R0 ANP7O0
 WXLOAIRTWEN 6RINE G0D:                       T E
WNSP ALRTR NAINONPT G :EL XSIOWPT EL 6R NEDO0
LWNA OWSRNEYSRICNEAGD :LLO  NS0 PL T-R 1NAP4O3 T 1E3XLI4O2WT 3E2R6
ED0E
[...]

--
Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.